Do you find yourself constantly wishing for just a few more hours in the day to help you accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished? In particular, if you are a member of the sandwich generation – those who provide care for both their children and their senior parents – you can quickly become a victim of caregiver burnout from an always growing to-do list. However, the tips provided in this article may very well provide a spot of relief to a very busy schedule.
- Use strategy when planning tasks. Make a plan for regular duties to optimize efficiency. For instance, map out errand-running to plan needed stops in the most efficient manner, and combine duties such as laundry and grocery shopping for your older loved one with your own.
- Stock the car. Store a box of helpful items in the trunk to have available at all times: comfortable walking shoes or boots, a coat or sweater, toiletries, snack foods with a long shelf life – all that you feel might prove useful for the specific circumstances you could find yourself in on any given day.
- Skip urgent care facilities. Urgent care visits can result in hours of lost time spent in the waiting room. Consider calling the doctor instead to obtain a same-day appointment, in particular mid-morning, when the day’s cancelled appointments have not yet been filled.
- Organize paperwork. Keeping copies of all important paperwork together, perhaps in a brightly colored, easily identifiable folder, is essential in the event of an emergency. The documents in the folder should include: power of attorney, list of medications and emergency contacts, advance directive, health care proxy and medical insurance information.
- Keep a positive outlook. Having a few quiet moments the very first thing in the morning to reflect on the things you’re grateful for should go a considerable way towards relieving stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day. Repeat as time permits during the day, particularly when feelings are running high.
The very best tip we can suggest is partnering with a professional in-home care agency, like Home Sweet Home In-Home Care of St. Joseph, MI. We can assist in more ways than you might realize, including running errands, shopping and meal preparation, light housekeeping, and more, along with hands-on personalized care and companionship. Contact us to say goodbye to caregiver burnout and rediscover a stress-free life for both yourself and your senior loved one!