It’s a familiar story for many people – performing well at a job you like (or need), commuting, and caring for your children, all the while finding time for caregiving of an aging relative. It seems like it’s just impossible to do it all and something has to give, but what? The only variable that you seem to have any control over is your career. Should you give that up? Can you give that up?
First of all, it’s important to know that you’re not alone. You’re one of the 40 million family caregivers in the U.S. who is caring for an elderly loved one. It’s likely your time is so crunched that you might not even be able to read this entire article in one sitting. There are so many demands on your time that your stress level is rising every day. But is giving up your job or your career really the answer?
Before taking such a drastic and life-changing measure, take a moment to consider the following:
- Determine the financial value of your wages, benefits and retirement income. Could you and your family manage without it?
- Would you be able to jump back into your career once your caregiving duties have ended?
- Are there alternatives to leaving your place of employment, such as temporary flex-time or part-time hours, extended family leave, etc.?
- Have you shared your situation with your employer? Before assuming that quitting is the only solution, allow your manager or HR department to hear and respond to what you’re facing.
- Read through your employer’s policies and procedures manual to refamiliarize yourself with the attendance and absences policies.
- Look into unemployment benefits in your state before making a decision, and confirm your eligibility.
While sacrificing your career for your loved one may seem like the only solution, quitting should always be your last resort. Take time to carefully plan the best course of action for yourself and your family, and look at all possible options. One such option is hiring a professional Kalamazoo home care agency like Home Sweet Home In-Home Care. Speaking with one of our experienced professionals can help you decide if you really do need to leave your job, or if you can manage with some qualified in-home care help.
Home Sweet Home In-Home Care Services will do an assessment of what your loved one needs while you are away at work or in your own home. We offer services such as light housekeeping, companionship, transportation to and from medical appointments, personal care (such as grooming, bathing, and mobility assistance), and even respite care.
If your loved one lives in Paw Paw, St. Joseph, or anywhere else in Van Buren, Berrien, Cass or Kalamazoo counties in Michigan, we can help. Before making any drastic decisions that may affect your family for a long time, contact us at (269)-849-9252 or through our web form. We can help.