Life, especially during the pandemic, can be unpredictable. For older adults who are feeling less in command of particular parts of life, such as losing cognitive or physical functioning, concentrating on what can be controlled is empowering.
A great place to begin is by establishing a daily routine for seniors, adapted to their particular interests and needs. Keep in mind a senior’s routine is certainly not designed to be a rigid regimen to be adhered to, but simply the basis for structure and predictability. With the older adult’s input and direction, decide on a desired framework for every day. A sample daily routine might look like this:
- Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
- Take care of personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast on the porch while listening to favorite music
- Take a stroll
- Tackle a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to take to the neighborhood park
- Run an errand
- Spend some quiet time reading or take a short nap
- Make dinner together and tidy up afterwards
- Have a bath
- Watch a film
- Go to bed at 10:30 p.m.
- Routines lower stress and anxiety. Routines are comforting and calming, eliminating the need to wonder and worry about what’s going to happen next, who will be there to assist, and how to make certain that everything is going to be taken care of.
- Routines improve sleep. Studies have shown that sticking with a daily routine aids in sleep quality in addition to the ability to fall asleep and remain asleep.
- Routines allow for high quality time with family and friends. Seniors and the family members who care for them can create routines that include satisfying time together. Include favorite pastimes, weekly dinner dates at a favorite restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
Home Sweet Home In-Home Care’s home care team is experienced in developing customized care plans and daily schedules to help make each day the best it can be for older adults and those who love them through a complete range of in-home support services, including:
- Morning wake-up help, including personal hygiene and cooking a nourishing breakfast
- Friendly companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with family and friends, medical appointments, etc.
- And many more, in accordance with each individual’s particular needs
Contact us online any time or call at (269) 373-5444 in Kalamazoo, (269) 763-5350 in Paw Paw, (269) 849-9252 in St. Joseph, or (269) 963-9888 in Battle Creek for additional information on our St. Joseph, MI senior care in nearby Michigan communities and to schedule a no-cost in-home consultation. For the full list of the communities we service, visit our Locations page.