It may be a bit intimidating to understand what to mention and just how to act when spending some time with a family member with Alzheimer’s. And, sadly, because of a number of inherent issues with the disease, sometimes relatives feel so uncomfortable they avoid visiting the person at all. Understanding a little more about the condition and what things to anticipate, and thinking ahead about how best to manage challenging behaviors, might help.
The main difficulties family relations and friends encounter in their loved one with Alzheimer’s disease end up in one of three categories: changes in behavior, reduced memory, and communication ability. The amount of difficulty will most likely fluctuate according to the particular stage of the disease the senior is actually experiencing.
In order to overcome these challenges and make the visit as enjoyable as you can, Home Sweet Home In-Home Care’s Kalamazoo, MI Alzheimer’s care professionals recommend the following plan of action:
- Start off your visit with a smile, and be ready to re-introduce yourself if needed.
- Use simple language and brief sentences, and communicate slowly.
- Steer clear of arguing with or correcting the senior.
- Take along photos from a favorite past memory for reminiscing.
- Listen to a number of the person’s favorite songs together, and ask him or her to dance if you’d like!
- Going on a walk together when possible, or any other exercise, may make the visit more enjoyable for both of you.
- Continue to be calm throughout your visit, even in the event the senior becomes agitated or exhibits inappropriate behavior.
- Maintain a sense of respect throughout your conversation, understanding the senior will most likely repeat questions and statements.
- Cut down on distractions to give the person your full attention.
- First and foremost, bear in mind who the person was pre-dementia, and remind the individual what he or she has done which has inspired you or helped you become the person you are today.
For additional advice on effective communication with a family member with Alzheimer’s disease, and for specialized hands-on dementia care assistance, contact Home Sweet Home In-Home Care for excellent Kalamazoo MI home care. Our knowledgeable dementia caregivers are fully trained and experienced in many different tactics to make certain seniors with Alzheimer’s disease remain secure and safe and therefore are in a position to live life to the fullest, with the utmost respect and compassion all the time.