Remember that feeling as a young child when the school bell rang, signifying the conclusion of math and the beginning of the best part of the day: recess? There clearly was a tremendous sense of freedom bounding out onto the playground, leaving behind the pressure of school work for a quick period of unstructured play.
Unfortunately, for most adults, this is only a fond but distant memory. Yet is it possible, and even advantageous, to recapture the joy of playing? Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, respond with a definite YES. As he details, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
The key advantages of play, no matter a person’s age, include:
- To connect: Especially in our smartphone-driven world today, taking time to engage with others in person is key to our social well-being – whether through sports activities, card clubs, weekly board game events, or any other shared hobbies and interests.
- To sharpen your mind: Although the jury is still out on the success of memory games in decreasing the potential for developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is certainly benefit to be gained in enhancing thinking and problem-solving skills.
- To improve relationships: The everyday stresses inherent in many of our relationships are eased once a sense of playfulness is included, making it possible for more powerful bonds and the capacity to better conquer difficulties if they occur.
Squeezing time out from a packed schedule to just play can seem impossible. Yet with a little help from Home Sweet Home In-Home Care’s St. Joseph senior care experts, a more enjoyable lifestyle can very quickly become a real possibility. We are readily available for as much or as little help as necessary, offering a wide array of senior care services for your loved ones, including:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and any other errands
- Light housework and laundry
- Personal care assistance such as helping with bathing and dressing
- Transportation and accompaniment to doctor appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to engage in conversations, reminiscing, exercising, games, and pleasurable hobbies
- And much more
Our St. Joseph senior care team can help your loved ones achieve a healthy life balance by permitting us to assist, while having some fun. Contact us now at (269) 849-9252 to learn more about our senior care services in St. Joseph and throughout the surrounding communities!