Looking at the past several months, family caregivers have had to deal with seemingly monumental challenges related to the care of the older adults they love. With COVID-19’s specific dangers to seniors and those diagnosed with underlying health issues, such as COPD, diabetes, heart problems, and others which are common in older adults, families have struggled with how to best protect and keep their older family members safe. To that end, some families made the really difficult decision to temporarily stop home health care during COVID-19 in order to reduce exposure by keeping anyone outside of the family from coming into the home.
As a result, the family members were unexpectedly responsible for full-time elder care. Without a care partner, this alone may be incredibly stressful, but add to this the many additional responsibilities and concerns resulting from the pandemic, such as shifting to working virtually, caring for children who could no longer attend school or daycare, and much more.
To say it is been a difficult time would be an understatement. Fortunately, with numerous new safety protocols established, could it be safe to once again bring in a professional caregiving company in order to provide home health care during COVID-19?
Home Sweet Home In-Home Care has continued to deliver safe, reliable in-home care services for older adults throughout the pandemic, in accordance with all recommended guidelines. When you are ready to consider in-home care options, keep these suggestions in mind:
- Work with an established in-home care agency, like Home Sweet Home In-Home Care, which has a carefully executed COVID-19 plan in place – and ask for details about that plan.
- Arrange to be present when the caregiver arrives the first time to relieve any concerns you may have, such as making sure he/she is washing hands often, sanitizing surfaces, wearing a face covering, etc.
- Speak with the older adult’s doctor about any concerning medical conditions and get suggestions for any additional safety precautions that should be taken during in-home care visits.
The care professionals at Home Sweet Home In-Home Care are always available to answer any questions you have and discuss precautions to safeguard the seniors in our care, including:
- Wearing face coverings and other personal protective equipment as appropriate
- Thoroughly sanitizing and disinfecting any items brought into the older adults’ homes
- Ensuring all care staff are healthy through routine temperature checks and wellness assessments
- Practicing safe social distancing protocol
- And more
Contact our care team any time for more information regarding the many benefits of professional home care, and how we can help a senior you love live life to the fullest – comfortably and safely in the familiarity of home. Home Sweet Home In-Home Care is a leading provider of home care in Dowagiac and in other Michigan communities. For a full list of the communities we serve, please visit our Locations page.