Whether you’re attempting to tune a guitar, learn a brand new language, or just add cats’ ears to a selfie, there is an app for that! And for older adults who are aging in place, technology may be a key component in enhancing safety, comfort, and overall wellbeing.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, for example. While its current benefits for seniors are numerous, including the capability to track sugar levels, make medical appointments, and research information related to a certain medical condition, it is actually positioned to dig even further into the medical care arena – maybe even detecting heart attacks and helping doctors obtain precise diagnoses.
Here are some additional technology solutions you may want to consider for a senior loved one:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting home security system delivers peace of mind pertaining to crime prevention, but frequently can perform a lot more, such as notifying when sensing smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the house which are too high or low, to name a few. They are also helpful for individuals with dementia who could be susceptible to wandering, to alert to a senior’s movements around the home.
- Telehealth: Save a trip to your doctor’s office by utilizing one of a variety of apps that allow for remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, a lot of whom are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Fall Prevention: One of top contributors to older adult falls is inadequate lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to increase lighting in areas of particular concern, including between the bedroom and bathroom, or on outdoor walkways, when set off by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior con artists are unrelenting and continually evolving their strategies. The elderly can boost security through apps that check financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, catch any use of a person’s Social Security number, and much more.
- Health Care: Multiple medical care needs are now able to be met without leaving home, such as video chats with physicians to avoid a trip to the office, medication ordering, and medication management to make certain meds are taken at the proper times and in the right doses.
Contact Home Sweet Home In-Home Care to get more ideas on improving life at home for senior loved ones – whether via technology, our knowledgeable in-home care assistance, or both! We are always here to help set up and explain technological options, and to provide the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that enables cherished loved ones to live their very best lives. Give us a call now at (269) 373-5444 for an in-home consultation and let us know how our Kalamazoo, MI senior care services can help you and your family! To learn more about all of the areas that our team serves in southwest Michigan, visit our Service Area page.