People around you may be resolving to lose 10 pounds, exercise more, and eat healthier, but as a caregiver for someone with dementia, perhaps just getting through the day is challenging enough. The idea of aiming to improve upon any area of your life during this unsettling time can be overwhelming.
At Home Sweet Home In-Home Care, a provider of senior home care in Marshall, MI & other Michigan communities, we would like to provide you with a bit of encouragement. We know the work you’re doing can be both frustrating and rewarding, and we’re here to support you by any means we can. To start, we have put together some New Year’s resolutions for Alzheimer’s caregivers that can actually help make your journey a little bit easier.
What Resolutions Are Good for a Dementia Caregiver?
Take a deep breath and a few moments to consider the following:
- Set aside time for self-care. We understand; this might be not as easy as it sounds. But taking time for yourself is vital to both your overall health and that of the person you’re caring for. It does not need to be anything complicated or extensive, unless you want it to be. Simply carving out a couple of hours once a week for an activity you enjoy can offer the rejuvenation you need. A trusted friend or family member can fill in while you’re away, or contact Home Sweet Home In-Home Care for a trained, experienced caregiver to assist.
- Forgive yourself. Understand that you’re human, and there will be times that you wish you had handled a situation differently. Resolve that this will be the year that you thoroughly let go of any guilt, and instead remind yourself that you are doing the very best you can to help make life better for the person you love.
- Remind yourself that you know what is best. Family caregivers may find themselves surrounded by well-intentioned people who wish to offer advice. While their ideas may work effectively for some individuals, they may not be optimal in your situation. Listen respectfully to any recommendations offered and thank the individual for the idea, but then ultimately trust your judgment in making the most effective care decisions for your circumstances.
For a trusted partner in dementia care, or for some additional helpful resources, contact Home Sweet Home In-Home Care’s experts in senior home care in Marshall, MI and other Michigan communities. We’ll be happy to visit with you in your home at no charge to talk about the challenges you are facing and to offer creative strategies to help, such as:
- Transportation and accompaniment to appointments and outings
- Planning and preparing meals in accordance with individual preferences
- Assistance with aggression, wandering, agitation, sundowning, repetitive behaviors, and much more
- Support as needed with personal hygiene tasks, while cultivating independence
- Providing engaging conversations and activities to help keep both mind and body active
- And more
Give us a call at (866) 229-2505 to find out more information.