Let’s be honest: providing care for an elderly family member, although rewarding in a variety of ways, can be downright stressful. Trying to meet the many physical and emotional needs of someone who is frail or injured requires the patience of a saint and more than a few tricks up the sleeve! Since November was National Family Caregivers Month, we’d like to take this opportunity to help alleviate the stress for the family caregivers who give so selflessly each and every day. If that’s you, take a breather, grab a cup of tea, and give some of these tips a try!
- Identify stress triggers. What thoughts cause your blood pressure to skyrocket? Sometimes stress is less related to external circumstances than it is to internal ones. Our thoughts affect our mood, which then affects our interactions with others and with life itself. Changing those thoughts to more positive ones can greatly impact your stress level.
- Slow down. A family caregiver’s hectic pace of life does little to foster a sense of peace. Carve out a block of time each day to unwind, decompress, and relax with a soothing activity that you enjoy.
- Seek out joy. The incredible beauty of the natural world around us is easy to overlook when we’re overstressed. Open your eyes with a renewed sense of wonder to the world around you and allow yourself to become fully immersed in experiencing it.
- Be kind to yourself. You may feel as though your level of patience and compassion is running low when doling out so much of it to the person for whom you’re providing care. Remember, however, to set a little aside for yourself.
- Minimize the drama. The mental and emotional energy expended by negativity, such as drama and gossip, can quickly drain your reserve of peace. Make a conscious effort to seek out the company of those with whom conversations take a more positive slant.
Perhaps the best way to restore peace and reduce your stress level is by partnering with a professional St. Joseph home health agency, like Home Sweet Home In-Home Care, to share in the journey of care. We provide a full range of homemaker, companionship, and personal care services, assisting with all of the more mundane aspects of caregiving so that you can spend quality time with your loved one – and, have some quality time for yourself, as well. For top rated Michigan home care you can trust, call us any time at 866-229-2505, or complete our simple online contact form to let us know more about your needs.